Friday, October 24, 2008

My First Job in a Correctional Institution

After I left the Library Extension Service in 1982, I worked at the Arizona State Prison Complex-Perryville for four and a half years. I worked in a library that was located in the institution's central complex. I was responsible for supervising libraries in a medium security men's unit and in the Women's Prison. I started working there as a Librarian I. When the prison's law library was established, a Librarian I position was established by the prison to supervise it. I worked as the Law Librarian for a year before I was promoted to a Librarian II position.
We had to let the inmates come up to the Complex Library and use the legal collection. We allowed them to photocopy pages from the law books. They paid for the photocopying out of their inmate trust accounts. We delivered photocopies and legal materials to the unit libraries, and serviced inmates who were in the Lockup unit as well.

No comments: